Musings from Home

...on anything and everything

Friday 19 August 2011

Of Quality, Computers and Controversy

Local Quality
Local is a very important word in my vocabulary, and Quality is another, and for me, they go hand in hand. I have written about quality here, and it is the main criterion I use to select the books I publish. However, I recognise, seek out, and exploit Quality in all areas of life. When I find it I like to celebrate it.
Quality is the principle which governs the many small independent businesses in Wigton, and will ensure their success and survival in the face of Tesco and other powerful giant chains. A recent article by Sue Allan in Cumbria Life gave a good impression of a vibrant bustling and interesting town. I could write at length of the excellent greengrocer's (just one- Lightfoot's- selling a huge range of local and wonderful produce, including locally made cheeses and fiery chorizo) butcher's (several, all very good, and each with their loyal customer base) and baker's shops, but I want to mention a recent discovery.
Computer Magician
I have had a lot of computer problems recently- and who doesn't- and was in despair at the arrogant and hard-nosed attitude of Comet, so I thought I'd chance the unknown, and phone the person who advertised by means of a board on the Wigton by-pass. I had nothing to lose, and found, over several months, that I had everything to gain. Not only is James Percy, the proprietor of Cumbria Computer Consultants, a really nice bloke- he knows his stuff, and immediately inspires confidence. He has fixed so many problems for me that I even entrusted my new and precious Macbook to him, and he liaised with Apple to diagnose the problem. As all really good "fixers"- (I would include builders, plumbers and electricians)- he is a creative problem solver who thinks laterally. I have no hesitation in saying to anyone with a computer,"Try James first. He's Quality"
Emotive Energy Issues
On a different, but still local note, I received some interest from a tweet about the proposed Little Waver Windfarm, and for my announcement of the Nuclear Debate in Cockermouth on 17th September. A quick skim through the comments on this article in the News and Star, reveals the huge divergence of local opinions. Both issues are hot and topical, and divide people along non-traditonal lines: you cannot predict which way a peson you know to be "green" will go on either topic; and both issues are very local. Nor do people divide along party political lines. For my own part, I have always been anti nuclear, but people like Mark Lynas, one of the speakers in the Cockermouth debate, have made me stop and think, so that I will be trying to find out more; and although wind power sounds good in theory, I am appalled at the way many turbines seem to dwarf the landscape and buildings near them. More importantly, I am very shocked by the vast sums of money paid to landowners out of government subsidies. I also think onshore farms are inefficient, when winds are sporadic and inconsistent. Just as with nuclear power, we do not know either true costs or efficiency.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Connie,
    One thing that struck me on our return from the Long Meg tour in Germany was the number of wind farms we passed. As a nation, Germany seems to be far more committed to 'green' power than we in the UK, and they seem (stereotype?) to be a pragmatic nation, if one can generalise - wind power would appear to be a very important part of their overall power generation strategy.
    Some wind farms I see in the UK I can live with, others I shudder when the plans are announced. However, the NIMBY attitude displayed by some can drive me to despair, as in the signs near Kirkby Lonsdale saying 'No Wind Farm for Kirkby Lonsdale'. Fine! No electricity for Kirkby Lonsdale then!
    OK, to use the old Cumbrian expression, that's 'holding the cat's arse to the fire', but it's hard to justify a blanket condemnation of wind/nuclear/coal fired/estuary barrage/etc power schemes whilst wanting the benefits of electricity.
    Phwew, glad I got that off my chest - just going to switch off a couple of lights! :-)

    ReplyDelete