Musings from Home

...on anything and everything

Friday 10 December 2010

Is grey the new black? Musings on the colour of underwear

Do you feel like this when you wear white underwear? No, neither do I, but it does look nice- at least for a handful of wearings. How long before it goes the way of all underwear and ends up the colour Ben Elton calls "thousand wash grey"? It all gets there in the end, but white has a head start, and black usually ends up round the ankles, all stretch gone, before it reaches the Nirvana of TWG.
While I'm on the subject, can we rename the sort of neutral colour that I often buy from M&S in the hopes of postponing the advent of TWG? Too many people still think of it as "flesh colour" (the actual colour of flesh is red- look in the butcher's window) I also like the story of a class of kids from a London primary school whose protest at the name of some coloured pencils consisted of them sending a large sheet of paper to the pencil manufacturers with dozens of colours which they had mixed: their message was, "These are our flesh colours"

Anyway, back to the name of the colour; I suggest Surgical Appliance Pink, as that's what it's nearest to. I wish they would do more of the sort of nice pinky grey colour I used to call mink. Perhaps I should just buy grey in the first plac?

No comments:

Post a Comment